Monday, May 10, 2010

Still rockin' Pong


My family was the last one on the block to get an Atari. Remember those things? They were revolutionary video game systems in the 70’s, but my house kept plugging along with Pong as long as we could. Not sure why, but we were always the last to get on board with household technology. I think my mom finally sprung for a microwave in 2005.

I’m still that way. My staff has encouraged me to start blogging, Tweeting, and Facebooking forever. I’m still plugging along with hand-written letters and the requisite e-mails. And I’d much rather call you than text you. I’ve resisted blogging and Twitter because I thought they were self-serving. Who cares what I am doing or thinking, right? I’ve been embarrassed to consider that people would want to “follow me.” I suppose it’s time to change, and here’s why...

God has blessed this ministry in so many extraordinary ways. While much of our denomination is retracting, we keep growing. It has occurred to me that maybe God is up to something with Cornerstone, and maybe what we are doing really is worth sharing. We have a platform that has far-reaching potential (even globally). What God is doing through Cornerstone matters, and if what we are doing and what we are thinking needs to be shared, then we need to share it.

So here goes:
1. I am starting this blog. I hope you’ll check it out and begin to follow it. I’ll be writing about all kinds of things like why we do what we do, what we believe to be important, and the ways in which Cornerstone goes about its business. I hope it will be meaningful to you and other churches as well.

2. I’m starting to Tweet (hope I said that right – it sounds illegal). From time to time, I’ll be sharing all kinds of leadership and spiritual resources, articles, experiences, thoughts, etc. with you.

3. I have asked our staff to step it up with our Facebook. This really is an amazing tool, and you can keep up-to-the-minute with all things Cornerstone and all things Munger Place.

I hope you’ll sign up and share in this process with me. And I hope you’ll encourage your friends to do the same. In the meantime, I still rock at Pong.

1 comment:

  1. Paul: You've had quite a positive influence on me and my family over the years. I learn from you. I'm delighted you are bringing some of your insights into blog form. A blog enables healthy interaction and discussion. It also allows easy searching and reference back to ideas long after they have been posted.

    One more thought: Many bloggers fail to use their power to revise and update posts after they are written. I recommend you keep that power in mind. You can say something today, and easily add to or change it a year or two later. --Ben Wright

    ReplyDelete