Monday, May 17, 2010

Lessons from the Bike

Saturday was among the greatest days in my life - literally. My little girl learned how to ride a bike right before my eyes. I cried I was so fired up. She has tried forever, and she just couldn't get it. Then, voila!!! Talk about a transformation. Frustration and angst became joy and confidence. Her whole demeanor changed in an instant As her father, I celebrated her joy all day long. Still celebrating. We're riding together tonight.

I know not everyone buys into the whole "God as Father" metaphor - too many crummy dads and all. But aside from being the dominant metaphor in the Bible, I think it works here. As her father, nothing brought more joy to me on this day than watching my little girl discover a new skill & gain some worldly confidence. I suppose that's what God feels like when we all do that. Whatever happened to the aura of discovery for adults? Why do we settle so easily for that which we already know? What skills, talents, dreams, accomplishments are you sitting on that are just waiting to emerge? How about throwing the routine in the garbage for a day, taking a big, fat risk and discovering something entirely new in your life. It will do you some good, and I know it will make God smile.

1 comment:

  1. Well done good and faithful servant. Focus on making a life, rather than a living, the life that is truly life.

    ReplyDelete